Taiwanese Carry is a carry with many twists, turns, and passes. There's no confusing it with any other carry - it is one of a kind and easily identifiable. Although unique, it is not often seen (usually just in a "Let's learn Taiwanese Carry" context), and opinions are generally split as to the attractiveness of the pattern it creates on the wearer's front. It uses a long woven wrap, usually a size 6 or 7.
The supposed "real" Taiwanese Carry consists of three twists on the wearer's front. However, the popular internet version is a simplified one with two twists. Although we'll link to a tutorial for the long version, this COTW will focus on the shorter, two-twist version.
- This carry begins off-centre. Drap your wrap over your shoulder until it hangs to approximately your hip or upper leg. Where the wrap crosses your back is where you will center baby.
- Get baby on your back and create a good seat. The short end of the wrap comes over your shoulder, the long end comes under the opposite arm. Pin the vertical tail between your knees to maintain tension.
- For reference, the short tail stays exactly where it is for the entire duration - the long end does 100% of the wrapping.
- Create a twist in front - Bring the long tail under the short one, then back over it so it goes back the way it came.
- Flip this tail over your shoulder, spread it across baby's back and bum, and tuck it OVER the opposite knee (rebozo pass).
- Create another twist in the front.
- Bring the tail across baby's back and bum, staying over both knees (horizontal pass), and tie in front.
- Spread wrap over your chest and shoulders as is comfortable.
- You can opt to tuck passes under baby's knees instead of over to create a more wiggleproof carry.
- If you're cutting it close on length, you can bunch the last pass instead of spreading it to save a few inches.
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread.php?13318-Taiwanese-carry&p=129565#post129565 (login required) - Long, 3-twist version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBz2yXXf-j8 (Briannaborntobeworn) - Size 3 wrap.